<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Wednesday, August 27, 2003

08:25
Curious demographics 

Looking at the sign-in list for my class where I asked students to identify the last math class that they took and when, I can see that the vast majority of the students are freshmen who took precalculus (or above) as HS seniors. There's clearly something wrong with our math placement test. I think that fixing this could allow us to eliminate maybe half of the remedial math classes without any penalty in how well we educate students.

It also occurs to me that it would be a very good thing to replace the standard skip Calc I for a 4 or 5 on the AP test approach with a new post-AP Calculus test designed to focus on the material that's not covered on the AP test.

I definitely need to speak with the Director of Undergraduate Studies about this. I only have a bit less than two semesters to make my mark on the University's policies.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise