<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Tuesday, August 26, 2003

10:06
First teaching day of the semester 

There is a palpable difference with the algebra II students that I have this year compared to last year's algebra I students. The gender imbalance seems to have disappeared, although I didn't do a real count. There was one homework problem asked about in both classes, although it seemed like the later class may have moved a bit farther ahead in the homework than the earlier class.

It looks like a good bunch of grad students in our shared office this year. I had been really concerned that I might develop an anti-Asian prejudice last semester, and having a group of Asian TAs who are a bit more gregarious and who will interact with me and other non-Asian grad students looks like it will make a big difference in my perceptions. This is a good thing.

Sure, I have some immediate financial concerns, but in general I'm a much happier person nowadays.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise