<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Wednesday, September 17, 2003

11:07
Getting ready for teaching on Saturdays 

I finally finished off my syllabus for the fall semester of my saturday teaching job. I'm really excited about my ideas for teaching. Since we only get the students for about an hour each week, and we're going to be teaching them new material that they won't get M-F until a year later at the earliest, I've decided that the way to manage this is to have part of the instruction take place through discovery assignments to be completed as homework. Students, for example, will be guided through the geometric construction of sin(a+b) to derive the formula for sin(a+b) in terms of sin(a)+sin(b).

My syllabus is also heavily weighted away from graded homework assignments. The bulk of the grade will be determined by two tests and a journal (which will be, effectively, the students creating their own textbook). The journaling will provide the students to get used to the idea of writing about mathematics and help fulfill the goal of teaching writing across the curriculum.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise