<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Tuesday, September 09, 2003

20:51
My sin is pride 

Today's classes went reasonably well. No one wanted to offer questions on homework, so I went with plan B, I picked problems from the text for the students to put on the board. 9a went more smoothly than 8a since that time everything was going through on the second try.

During the tutoring hour, one of my former students came in for help. She had failed during my semester teaching, but retaking the class over the summer she had made the breakthrough to being able to do algebra. She's in very good shape now from what I saw. So why the headline? Because there's a big part of me that is disappointed that she didn't make the breakthrough under my watch. I have to remember that not every accomplishment has to be by ME.

She's also a great exemplar of the student who may have difficulty with arithmetic but who can still do algebra. She couldn't do 20-8 without her calculator, but she could do algebraic manipulation with no difficulty.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise