<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Thursday, October 16, 2003

08:12
Math teaching methods annoyance 

So for my math teaching methods class, we're doing group presentations. My group is presenting on rational and irrational numbers. I came up with the (I thought) brilliant idea of organizing the lesson so that we would each teach the subject as if it were being brought up in a different class: Algebra, Geometry, PreCalc and Calculus. I had a great lesson where I would introduce Taylor's Theorem as a motivation towards doing the Taylor expansion of ex, thence finding an infinite series definition of e and then finally proving that e was irrational.

The prof vetos this idea. Suddenly we're teaching a single lesson to a 10th grade class. Everyone else's material can be easily adapted to this change, but mine not so much. I've got five minutes to come up with an alternative.

Which I do.

Instead of that proof, I decide that we can look at countability of infinite sets. The Math Circle in Boston does this with 6th graders so it's certainly within the grasp of 10th graders (although I intentionally move the proof that the cardinality of the set of reals is not equal to the cardinality of rationals into the "if time" section of the lesson--I'm not at the level of over-learning with this concept to be as comfortable with it as I'd like).

So I'm pretty happy with how I managed to dodge the bullet, but generally annoyed with how the class as a whole is being run. I'll be so happy to be done with all this education stuff and finally start teaching.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise