<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Tuesday, October 14, 2003

11:50
Oh yeah, I love this guy 

Thanks to Katherine Fielding for the link to Pursuing Happiness, Through Hard Work (washingtonpost.com).

I agree that the idea behind education should be to challenge the students. It's a matter of really pushing the envelope, making them do things that they think are beyond them. When I told the 10th graders on Saturday that we'd be doing trig, there were (predictable) protests, but I hope that as they work through their assignments, they'll see that they can do it. Frankly, I think that of all the secondary math curriculum, trig is the easiest stuff. All you need to know is the Pythagorean Theorem, some stuff about similar triangles and one simple diagram (which I can't show you because I don't particularly want to pay for hosting), and you're good to go.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise