<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Wednesday, November 05, 2003

14:24
Geometry without proofs, it's just so wrong. 

Damn this geometry without proofs. I think we're going to do a proof in class anyway. The state standards say that geometry is supposed to cover proofs. I've not looked very long and hard, but I suspect that this is true of every state's standards.

So why is there geometry without proofs? The ACT and SAT I imagine. You can't test proofs with a multiple choice test. And as we all know, knowledge that can't be tested with a multiple choice test does not exist.

I've found my mission in life: To eliminate, always and forever, the teaching of geometry without proofs in all schools. And if I succeed, my next step will be to reincorporate proofs into calculus (at both the secondary and college level).

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise