<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Thursday, November 13, 2003

14:39
Good day teaching 

Algebra was the best I've taught, period. I'm still not entirely happy with the classroom layout. I have no blackboard space at all, just the overhead, so I can't have a principle displayed and easily demonstrate it. But I've got a pretty good sense of how to organize the class with the limitations. My happiest moment was when one of the students expressed displeasure with doing math as a sophomore that people she knew had done as an 8th grader. It reinforces part of what I believe: That a two-year Algebra I sequence is a mistake.

Geometry, my Ed professor came in to observe me and for the first time in 6 classes that I taught at the high school I had too little material rather than too much. Oops. Class ended at 2:20 and the students had all largely finished their homework by 2:05. So I improvised a bit. We were learning about perpendicular bisectors, so I linked what we did with the perpendiculars today with yesterday's medians and Tuesday's isosceles triangles, plus last week's right angle trig. Since they haven't had triangle congruence yet, I was able to show them that we can see that a median is only a perpendicular bisector if the triangle is isosceles as well as the converse.

The professor was very pleased with my teaching. It was a nice remedy to yesterday's despair.

I'm thinking that if I were to come up with the alternative version of this course where the lowest-level math students still did proofs, my curricular materials would start with the triangle congruences and work their way into more interesting proofs from there.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise