<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Tuesday, November 04, 2003

19:40
Hey, I did learn something in my math teaching class after all 

And that is that a poorly-thought out manipulative is worse than no manipulative at all.

And that there's a tendency for math ed people to get a little over-focused on manipulatives. When we were prepping for my group's lesson last week, there was this struggle to find manipulatives to illustrate rational and irrational numbers. What we did were, I think, a bit of a disaster. Some times there's no need for a manipulative. As I'm prepping for my teaching next week and the week after, the geometry classes will have a paper-folding exercise to begin nearly every class (except for one where we'll be doing computer work). But the algebra classes will be manipulative-free (although I think I will use Geometer's Sketchpad to put some graphs on the big monitor at the front of the room when we get to graphing.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise