<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Wednesday, November 05, 2003

14:13
Some more notes from observation 

I've got my class outlines for the next two weeks sketched out. My big concern is that what I'm doing with geometry (based on the teacher's topic list) doesn't form a cohesive whole. It's a mish-mash of topics that have a connection from the perspective of someone who knows geometry, but that are going to look horrible from the students' perspective. Here's what I've got to work with: This is my tentative ordering, but I might want to move things around some more. I think that one thing that we may want to do is point out that the four lines that we can draw from a vertex to a side (or from a side potentially to a vertex) will only coincide if we have an isosceles triangle.

What too many educators realize is that Dewey's question, "is this learning vital" doesn't necessarily require that the learning connect to something outside the classroom. But it does have to connect to something.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise