<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Tuesday, December 09, 2003

19:14
And then I was done 

I took my only in-class final of the semester, for my math teaching class. What a waste of 45 hours of my life this has been. Out of 100 points on the final, only one question (20 pts) had any relevance to the subject matter of the course as dictated by the catalog description. The course in general was a waste.

There are two math teaching courses in the credential sequence. This one is the only one with any math prerequisites. And yet the math that we're doing is often at the junior high level. The teacher herself doesn't seem comfortable with writing proofs and is a poor grader. The bulk of the test consisted of recall of fact questions. Even though I did nothing to prepare for the final, I still know I aced it (not to mention finished first). I even sketched out a bonus proof of the pythagorean theorem at the end of the test. Like the midterm, it wasn't just that I could answer every question on the test easily, but I could answer every question on the test before I took the class. I truly hope they don't allow this professor to teach this class again.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise