<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Wednesday, December 17, 2003

15:08
My options for the spring 

I got to the school a bit late and then had a hard time finding my contact who was supposed to show me what room I was heading to.

So I got to see the classrooms where I'll be teaching. The exact student list won't necessarily be available right away: There is an expectation of significant numbers of failures and transfers (very different from my own experience in high school, where the track that I was in had pretty consistent enrollment). I do get a choice of when I'll have my prep period, it looks like. The Algebra teacher, Ms R, has three sections of Algebra, in periods 1, 2 and 5. Geometry will be periods 4 and 6 with Ms C. I'm guessing that the determination of when I'll have my prep will be at least partly determined by what advanced class I'll teach and when it's offered, but I believe that it will be during 3rd period.

I had lunch at a different time period, and I have to say that I like this group. It's largely the young male math teacher group at the math table in the teacher cafe at this lunch, which is a milieu I fit in with better than I did the older married female math teacher demographic who made up the bulk of the folks at the math table at the lunch period that I went to earlier in the fall.

Here's what I'm thinking will be my schedule for the spring (with some gaps here and there):

  1. Algebra
  2. Algebra
  3. Trig (prep for roughly the first 6 weeks)
  4. Geometry
  5. Prep
  6. Geometry
I was offered the chance to actually teach the last period Geometry class tomorrow, but I think that I'll pass. Or perhaps not. It depends on how much progress I make with my getting ready for Christmas tonight.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise