<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Tuesday, January 20, 2004

14:07
First day student teaching 

It started relatively light. My trig class is up in the air right now so I get an extra prep period mid-day for now, and in algebra I'm just observing, so all I have to do right now is plan and teach geometry. My mentor for the geometry class was very impressed with my teaching. Some of the things that she liked, like my walking over to the student who's asking a question are partly a self-defense measure. I have difficulty hearing speech freqencies a lot of the time, so I need to walk closer to the student to understand them. The modifying my teaching from one class to the next is kind of instinctual for me. I used to teach computer seminars and I'd learn from each class what was confusing for the last group and modify the instruction for the next one. Of course back then, I also controlled the curriculum and instructional materials so I could also edit the text and add new exercises to reinforce difficult material.

I'm not as far ahead in my planning as I'd like to be though. I call it the curse of the 3-day weekend. I figure that I've got lots of extra time to get stuff done so I put things off and end up not getting anything done in the end.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise