<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Monday, February 09, 2004

17:23
Algebra - mostly about absenteeism 

Little by little I'm getting a handle on teaching the algebra class. The overall quiz results were a bit disappointing, but I think that the kids are beginning to get how to do this. I still regret deviating from the book for the material that I'm teaching, and I should have stuck with my original plan. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20. I did check some of the most poorly performing students and saw that they were poorly performing before I took over the class, which while it's encouraging for me personally, is still not something that I like to see.

One challenge that I have with the algebra class (and to a lesser extent with the geometry) is absenteeism. I have one student who's going to be gone from tomorrow through next Tuesday (presumably a family vacation). Then there are students who have been suspended or are just plain absent. Most of these students, if I could get them in the classroom every day could be doing much better.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise