<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

19:35
Good and bad 

My geometry mentor suggested that we each create lists of what I've been doing well and what I need improvement in. I had a very hard time coming up with the good things.

During seminar, one of our group exercises was to name a favorite student and explain why. This was followed by a suggestion to try and remember something positive about each day. I'm realizing that I have a tendency to dwell on the negative, which is not good for my mental health, especially right now. I'm going to want to make a point of doing this.

Among today's teaching, what I'm most happy with is that I've managed to get everyone to be able to solve a problem using similar triangles related to the homework problems. I've been using the book Every Minute Counts for suggestions and finding it helpful.

I also had what seemed a positive encounter with one of my students outside of class. As a matter of principle, given a choice between my students liking me, or my students learning from me, I'd pick learning from me. But that doesn't mean that I'm indifferent to whether they like me or not. I'm occasionally a bit jealous of how some other teachers interact with students, and it's nice to finally get something positive.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise