<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Wednesday, February 04, 2004

18:56
I hope this is the bottom 

I've been feeling pretty awful about my teaching yesterday and today. I keep feeling like I'm not reaching any of the kids. I heard from one of my mentors today that one of my students was asking about transferring out of the class, which I think was the final straw which left me in a pretty serious depression. I'm feeling better now (thanks to my fiancée), but I'm still feeling like I'm in the Slough of Despond. I'm reminded of the following illustration from Assorted Stuff:
It's a little scary that the section labelled disillusionment is so long and flat (and low). I'm hoping that maybe I'll show some signs of improvement with the quizzes tomorrow, but I'm not counting on it.

My plan now, is to go with a view that I know nothing, and do my best to relearn everything from scratch. It's very hard to swallow my pride in this way, but I think that it's almost essential. At seminar, I made a point of being certain to ask questions whenever I didn't know the answer. There's no point in presenting a false front. I need to relearn how to do everything.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise