<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Friday, February 13, 2004

16:28
Miscellaneous 

Blogging at 15,000 feet as I fly out to see my fiancée for the long weekend. A potpourri of leftover comments at week's end:

Algebra class had a quiz today, and it was kind of relaxing to have the kids working individually and silently for the whole period. I graded one quiz at the airport and the result was a bit disappointing, but this was a student who has not done well so far to begin with.

It also gave me a nice uninterrupted time to deal with individual student issues like missing homework and passing out replacement worksheets for students who had lost theirs.

I think that I'm going to revise my filing system. Right now I have colored folders for each day of the week. Completely useless for me. I'd heard this suggested elsewhere and thought I'd give it a try, but this sort of organization doesn't really gibe with what I do in my files. The files that I use the most are the folders labelled "[Class/period] To Be Graded" and "[Class/period] To Be Returned". What I need are folders of "future worksheets" "past worksheets" "future quizzes/tests" and "past quizzes/tests" and perhaps a "This class" folder.

I'm also going to make a minor change to my system for keeping track of students' work in the index cards I print up for my Algebra II class. For that group, I'm going to include space to track attendence/tardies and also spaces for the quiz and test scores so that the card can be a complete class record in the palm of my hand. One of these days, I'll upload a sample card to a free image hosting site so that my system will be clearer to my readers here.

Geometry saw the beginning of a two-day review period. Today the student worked in groups. Because we hadn't had a chance to go over homework yesterday, I incorporated homework review into the homework. As I checked in homework with each group I instructed them to compare answers so that they could see which problems were difficult for them. I don't think that this aspect of the review worked very well. Towards the end of the class, I read off the answers to problems which had short answers and it seemed as if the students hadn't done the comparison work.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise