<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Friday, February 13, 2004

19:42
Planning next week 

Still waiting to get into that comfy first class seat. I've been looking over my schedule for what remains of the chapter for my Algebra class, and I'm feeling a bit frustrated in some ways by my mentor's efforts to direct how I teach this material. Factoring equations in the form ax2+bx+c is a difficult thing to teach, but I've been through this lesson a number of times (albeit with college students). I've got a pretty good sense of where I want to go with this. I appreciate her ideas, but the more I think about it, the less willing I am to go in precisely the direction that she wants me to go. I fear that I may drive my fiancée nuts a bit this weekend as I think about different ways to get from where I am to where I want to be.

Advanced Algebra, I briefly considered starting the new chapter with the graphing section. I would prefer to do that, because it gives some motivation to what we're trying to do (when I taught an introductory algebra class last year to 7th and 8th graders, I used graphing as a motivator to just about everything we wanted to do in the class. But I'm going to resist the urge to get creative here.

Geometry. It's a little bit cushy, actually. Tuesday is the second day of review, Wednesday is the exam, so that just leaves two days to plan and looking in the book, the material is a bit thin between those two days. I need to look again to make sure about the second section ("an introduction to circles"), but presumably we shouldn't have to spend too much time on either. I'll split the first section's homework into two parts, though, in case going back over the test that we just took takes too much of the class time.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise