<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

19:12
Seminar 

This was in some ways a good week for seminar: One of the people in seminar showed a way of teaching altitude on hypotenuse theorems that I will use when I get to that part of the material in my own teaching. I like what he did for an opener as well, and with some clarifications in the material will be something that I use as well.

But on the other hand, I ended up volunteering to show some material as well. This in itself is not bad, but I have to resist my urge to devolve into my tendency to consider myself an expert. In theory, sure. But in theory I can play any band or orchestra instrument as well (in practice not so much).

On the third hand, to have the opportunity to teach in a non-threatening environment was nice, although on reflection I spotted something which is my tendency to want to resort to abbreviated explanations. With this audience, I can get away with that (to show, for example, why if you create a triangle by using the diameter of a circle to provide one side and then connect the endpoints of the diameter to any point on the circle you have a right triangle).

On the fourth hand, I'm still a bit emotionally fragile, I'm realizing. At points during my presentation, it was all I could do to keep myself from bursting into tears as I attempted to teach. I'm feeling better now, but I suspect that might be entering a depressive phase for a while.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise