<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Thursday, February 26, 2004

14:44
Wednesday  

I've continued to be sick all week. I've been going in since Tuesday, but it's been miserable. Each day, I go home after school and sleep. This makes planning a bit rough.

Yesterday was a full day of teaching. Algebra was not too demanding: I had the students working in groups of reviewing the chapter's material and I was able to spend a lot of time not talking. Advanced Algebra was quite a bit worse, and as I was teaching the use of dummy variables to convert equations like t2/5-t1/5-2=0 into quadratics I was faced with a lot of blank stares from the students. I suppose I'll see whether they managed to pick up the material from the examples and the homework when I grade today's quiz.

Geometry, on the other hand went rather well, and my mentor commented that this was the best I'd ever taught: With a couple exceptions, my boardwork was fine and I managed to get pretty good responsiveness from the students.

Then for added fun, at the end of the day when I went to the office to pick up my coat, I spotted a fight starting in the hallway and, being the big dumb sort that I am, immediately ran to break it up. One of the other teachers who was in the office at the time told me that I shouldn't have gotten between the fighting students. Oops. Fortunately, I managed to stop things before it moved from shoving to punching and another teacher took care of the hard disciplinary part (she collected IDs and took the students to the dean's office).

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise