<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

19:11
Watching a first-year teacher 

My geometry mentor is, I think, rather uncomfortable with someone else in the classroom while she's teaching, and has been trying to push me out of the room since I've wrapped up my teaching. I more or less stopped resisting today and spent my afternoon watching one of the first-year math teachers. I didn't see too much classroom activity because it was mostly a review day for her, but I did manage to see some of what happens with her classroom management. There wasn't anything in particular that I could identify that set her apart from the more experienced teachers that I observed. I think some of it comes down to just body language and classroom presence, and I would guess that this only comes with experience and time.

I did pick up an interesting way of motivating group work: The group work is counted as a quiz. Every student turns in his or her work, but only one student's work from the group is graded. Other rules: Only three questions per group will be answered. Group quizzes cannot be turned in before the end of the class period.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise