<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Friday, September 17, 2004

22:36
Disappointing quiz results 

I've graded one section's worth of geometry quizzes from Thursday this evening. I'm depressed. My high score is a C. 27 out of 33 students failed. I clearly need to reteach.

But the result that really mystifies me was question 4: It reads: "Identify each of the following as a line, segment, point or distance" There followed a list of five choices such as RM for the students to identify. I had not one but two students write next to some of their options, "plane". How does that happen? I can understand not being able to correctly identify m as a line, or correctly identify any, but what on earth is going through a student's mind when they give me an answer that isn't even one of the choices?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise