<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

19:56
Inservices? Who needs em?  

My answer would be, everybody. I had an anonymous coward offer the following sage advice:
Truthfully, there was probably very little worth hearing. You'll find that over time the sort of remarks people make at these silly orientation meetings tend to become quite predictable.

If you stick to your guns, and are still teaching in the same place in three to five years, I'll bet you'll be one of the people who sit and talk during the meeting.

Either that, or you'll be sitting in the back, reading the paper, doing anything but listening to the speaker.

I refuse to become that teacher.

It's important enough that I think I'll say it again.

I refuse to become that teacher.

First off, there were some very important things that were being said. I think that teachers damn well better know school policies on tardies, dress code, etc. This is stuff that the faculty had better know. Similarly with this morning's presentation on school performance data. I know, for example, that having heard some of the information on language arts performance, that I'll pay special attention to questions of vocabulary (particularly meanings of words in context).

As for the nonsensical inservices (and I know they exist, I've been to some), I think that it's very much the responsibilty of teachers to demand better. If someone wastes my time, that time is gone forever. Personally, I plan to write a letter to the principal with a couple suggestions on ways to improve the presentation of the information (in particular, I think that instead of presenting to all 85 teachers at once, much of the information should be done in smaller groups (ideally no larger than 30). We can work things in shifts so that some teachers are hearing information A while others hear B and others hear C.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise