<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

20:15
Teaching proof 

I've started looking for materials for the next chapter. I think that I'm going to go about this section a lot differently than chapter 1. I've always been a bit wary of going off-book, but I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with the Glencoe texts. They introduce concepts in problems without any preparation in the chapter (for example, the tick notation for congruent segments in a diagram), and the section on inductive reasoning doesn't appear to cover anything of the sort. A quick google search on "teaching proofs" turned up an article, "Proof, Thought and Aesthetics" that looks like a good start towards what I want to do. It actually teaches inductive reasoning, which the text does not. I'll have to see if I can find any good problems for homework in the text if I go with these lessons.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise