<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Monday, September 27, 2004

22:38
What if games 

I'm really hoping that things get better, because I can't keep this up for 9 more months.

It's not merely that I seem to always be working on school stuff, but that I'm feeling like I'm not making an impact with too many of my students. The thought of my two post-lunch classes makes me feel a bit ill. Physically. Add in a propensity towards depression and today was just miserable for me.

Add in the fact that I've not had time to do anything else that has been of value to me. I don't play piano or guitar or flute or bass or sing. I don't read books or the newspaper. I don't go to the movies. I don't even watch DVDs at home.

I've been toying with other options. Perhaps I can go back to school again and go ahead and get the PhD. Teaching at the university level won't have many of the stresses that I have with the high school kids. Hell, even if I were teaching the same classes at the junior college level, I'd be better off. Perhaps that's what I should pursue. And then there's all the google ads talking about careers as an actuary. That seems like something I could do well: I can do math better than most people, and would certainly be a lower stress career. Looking at one site's chart of salaries, I'd also be making a lot more money than I am now, and it would also be a job that wouldn't follow me home.

I remember about this time last year, girlonthescape was expressing many of the same concerns. I'm not quite at the point of just calling in sick, but I feel pretty close to it.

And sure enough, it's just about October:

(I had a fear over the weekend that I was still on the part of the curve that has me continuing to plummet. If it gets worse than this, I don't think I'll make it to the end of the semester, let alone the year.)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise