<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Friday, October 01, 2004

12:30
Valedictory 

That I'm writing this from home at 12.30 should be sufficient to reveal the outcome of the meeting this morning.

I'll miss the 8 kids in 6th period who actually cared about the class and whose parents told me last night that they supported me.

I'll miss the new kid who sat in the front row 3rd hour and always wanted to talk baseball. It's too bad that I didn't get a chance to try and get one of his playoff tickets from him. And I'll always laugh at his story about going to a funeral with "lots of gorgeous blue-eyed blonde-haired chicks" that he couldn't hit on because it was, well, a funeral.

And the football player in fourth hour who had a "smart day" yesterday and suddenly realized that he did get what was going on. Not just understanding what I had said, but being able to put it together to form new knowledge.

And even the loudmouth girl in fifth hour who was always a pain but also was smarter than she wanted to admit (except when it came time to take a test).

Where to now? There's a full-time position at a community college open in the spring. I'll call up about the adjunct positions at some of the other community colleges. And I'll go to monster and see if I can't find something a bit more immediate, perhaps back to IT...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise