<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

09:43
Unsolicited Grad School Watch: Colorado School of Mines 

We obtained your name from ETS and believe you could be a good fit for Colorado School of Mines based on your academic background and graduate program goals. Mines is a world-renowned public research university devoted to engineering and applied science with a total enrollment of 3500 students. We offer an innovative curriculum that emphasizes practical, hands-on experiences and an interdisciplinary approach to solving problems of importance to society.

This should be interesting. When I was a callow youth, after I took the SAT I checked the nationwide box for schools to send me information (I wanted to go to school in California, but there was no way of giving a smaller geographic area than nationwide from where I lived). I heard from, iirc around 500 colleges and universities, including the college that I eventually attended (which I'd never heard of previous). Now that I want to go to grad school locally, such a serendipitous discovery is less likely. I believe that I've found every possible PhD program possible.

Speaking of which, I've decided that since it's highly unlikely that I'll get a 900 on the math GRE on Saturday, I'm going to put off the PhD application for a year. This will give me a chance to get some more graduate credits under my belt at CSU, get better recommendations from faculty and also get some research of my own in. My goal is to, by this time next year, have at least one publication-quality paper written if not published so as to have an outstanding chance of getting into my first choice school. I'd probably get into at least one program if I applied now, but I think that it's better to wait a year and have a chance to get into my first choice, than to apply now and settle for #3 or #4.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise