<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Thursday, January 20, 2005

09:41
Back teaching 

I had my first meeting of my math for liberal arts majors class yesterday, complicated by the fact that on Tuesday I decided that the class as I had conceived it was boring and I through out the syllabus and started over. This means that we'll be jumping around in the book a fair bit, but the course topics will be organized in a way that should make them more interesting.

The kids are polite but passive. I'll try to change that over the next 16 weeks (the passive part, that is), but I'm feeling pretty good about what we did. The amount of time that we have for class is actually pretty long, so I'll be able to do more interactive activities in the classroom than I might have first imagined.

On the way to the campus I got a call from the other college's math department. The college algebra class that I was to teach has been cancelled because of low enrollment. They offered me another section of math for liberal arts in its place. This is actually kind of nice. One less prep to deal with.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise