<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

13:01
Tutoring update 

I'm up to four tutees at this point, two of whom are starting this week and the other two are ending this week. The original student, who's getting the SAT help continues to coast a bit on her abilities and not really put in a lot of effort. From watching her, she could probably score an 800 on the SAT quantitative, but she doesn't seem particularly interested in putting in the effort to get there. It's a bit startling how quickly she loses what she's learned.

My other tutee, I really like. I think he's actually paying for the tutoring out of his own pocket. He's a senior, struggling a little bit with Algebra II, but he realized that he needed to get his act together to graduate high school. Better still, he wants to become an aeronautical engineer. He's actually a lot smarter than his grades have shown, and he's willing to put in the time and effort to do will. I'd tutor him for free (and I may well make the offer on Friday when we have our final tutoring session).

I've also been quite impressed with his methodical approach to his work and I wonder whether this is a consequence of his current math teacher. If so, I'd love to spend a day watching her teach and asking her about her approach to her work to see what I can learn from her.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise