<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

21:58
Moebius Stripping 

Today's class was one of my best yet. We spent a bit part of the class doing explorations with the Möbius strip. This is really what I wish all of my classes were more of. I'm thinking that for the fall when I'm teaching this math for liberal arts majors class again, I'm going to redesign the whole class one more time to be less book-dependent. I may, in fact, throw out the book entirely as I'm not entirely happy with it. My experiments with using beamer/LaTeX for classroom presentation seem to work out at least partly. The big problem is that planning takes a lot longer. I need to make sure that I have a traditional legal pad plan for each class before I tackle doing the presentation file. I also tried something new today that I think I will employ in all classes at all times: Having the students grade their own homework. Then I can just scan over the homework (to watch for blatant cheating) and enter the numbers into EGP. This should also help give the students more immediate feedback on what they're doing right/wrong.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise