<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

18:48
Syllabus work: Course organization: The big picture 

I'm beginning to make a start on the hard work of the syllabus. I have three mandated topics: Probability, Statistics and Consumer Mathematics.

I'm thinking that I'd like to use some ideas about mathematical thinking (probably using Kaplan and Kaplan for this) to lead into probability. I'm not sure exactly how to extend statistics and consumer math into other areas of mathematics.

I do think, though, that I'll divide the class into three units using each of these topics as either the culmination or the prolegomenon of our work in that unit.

I'll have some early classes on using tools of the trade: How to read mathematics, how to use a calculator, how to write properly, and then dive into the first unit.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise