<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Monday, July 18, 2005

13:02
This morning's interview 

Assuming sufficient enrollment, I'll be teaching Algebra at mid-level U. The interesting part is that I've been informed that the thing about Mid-level U is that I'll be dealing with students who've think that they're better than algebra. Because they've taken Precalc and often Calculus. But they can't add fractions. Or do basic algebra. And yet somehow have a 3.7 or a 4.25. Where have I heard this before? (you'll have to dig up the stories from the archives yourselves. It ought to be fun. I was in two minds about this. On the one hand, with the summer school teaching, if I tought 4 adjunct classes I'd get a pay raise in the spring (I get to move to row 2 of the salary schedule). The mid-level U counts as a TAship rather than adjunct so doesn't move me to row 2. (That would have to wait until next fall instead, although I should have enough classes at that point to also move to column 2). But, by taking this, I'll get an office at mid-level U. You hear that? An office (granted it will be shared with 60 other grad students and there will be a constant flow of undergrads coming in for homework help, but it's an office. I kind of miss that.)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise