<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Friday, August 26, 2005

17:02
Will the other kids like me? 

In addition to next week being the start of teaching at MRU, it's also the first week of taking classes at MRU. And I'm realizing that I've not met anyone who's in my Monday class. Most of the grad students I've met are pretty far into their programs with many finishing this semester. I'm the only new grad student in the department who's teaching. I hope that they like me. I get the feeling that many of the other grad students who are teaching don't like me. Certainly, I feel a bit of an outsider with them (although that's also partly my fault: I slipped off on my own for lunch yesterday). I wonder whether there's a perception of me as arrogant (I can see that because my reaction to complaints about teaching factoring to the students was to (try to) show them the Lizzie method. Or perhaps I'm viewed as not properly paying my dues since I went straight into this level of employment (frankly, I'd've been happier with the more flexible scheduling of the GA positions even if they pay less). Just one more thing to be nervous about.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise