<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

12:07
Teaching report 

Yesterday, with no sleep and less preparation, I ended up winging my algebra classes. That said, it seemed to go remarkably well: I had students work through a number of exercises with some guidance and I could see, looking over their shoulders that they were getting it. So why did I have one student then e-mail me with a basic question (we were doing variation, and she asked what inverse, direct variation, etc. meant) after class? She was doing the exercises with everyone else. She doesn't have an accent or apparent inability to understand what's happening in class.

Meanwhile today in the liberal arts math class, we began the presentations by the students. Most notable is how much this acts as a chance to see how (and how not) to teach material. There were differing levels of ability among the students who presented today, but overall the material was presented accurately (with some small corrections needed along the way, which, to my pleasure, were supplied by the class!).

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise