<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

21:15
Fun while grading 

A LARGE number of my algebra students had ONE bad test. Droppingg the lowest test score has shifted me from 2/3rds failing to 2/3rd passing. In the 8a class, exactly half the class will be taking the final. Of those who will not, 7 have high enough scores to be exempted and 10 are mathematically incapable of passing the class (in every sense of the phrase). Grading 10a's test 5, I had one student leave me a note that at first glance, I thought read
Mr Prosciutto: I am pretty
then I noticed that it continued on the next line with
sure that I'm failing this class...
(in fact, she fell in the elite category of students who have already lost so many points that even dropping their lowest test score won't give them any chance at passing).

Next on the stack, a student who needs a 94 on test 5 to have any chance at passing.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise