<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

07:10
100 facts about me in 100 days: #9, #10 & #11 

As I crack into the double digits, a couple facts based around my earliest memories. I have no idea if any of this is unusual. When I've mentioned these to other people, I've gotten the sort of looks that cold either mean, "well, duh, that goes through everyone's head at the age of 3" or "my God, are you some sort of space alien?"

9. I was apparently a philosophical 3-year old. Because I can remember contemplating the meaning of life at that age. Of course being three, my conclusion was that I could lock myself in the bathroom forever as long as people would pass me food through the linen closet, since I would have everything that I needed in life then: Food, water and someplace to pee and poop.

10. I was aware of the aribtrary relationship between the signifier and the signified as a 3-year-old. In particular, I realized that there was no particular reason that certain words had the meaning that they did, or that certain ideas were connected to certain combinations of sound. I particularly disliked the word "hamper" and resolved that when I had a family, we would not use the word "hamper" in my house.

11. I was concerned about the reality of TV shows as a 3-year-old. I was very concerned about people dieing dying on television and insisted that my mom confirm that they were just sleeping. It didn't occur to me that they could just lie very still with their eyes closed.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise