<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Vito Prosciutto: Teaching community college math on the road to a PhD.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

15:55
Adventures in health care 

After 6 (count 'em SIX!) doctor visits, it turns out that I have exactly the hearing problem that I claimed to have and that yes, surgery is called for, and no, the HMO paperwork won't be finished in time for me to get it during spring break, so it looks like I'll continue to be partially deaf* for the remainder of the semester. My students will be disappointed, but such is life. Worse still is that I'd been working independently rather than going to class in topology** on the hopes that post-spring break I'd be able to hear again (the prof speaks rather softly). It looks like that was a vain hope.

* -35dB left ear, -75dB right ear, for those who like numbers

** While going to class, I'd given up on hearing the lecture and would generally just work on my own, but I got a bit pissed after I was blindsided with a question during the course of class where because I didn't hear the initial posing of it, I didn't have a chance to think about and got lumped in with the rest of the class who had it wrong when I would have with just a little bit of time had it correct. That was enough to make me figure that class wasn't worth the effort, and in any event, Munkres works quite well for self-study.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Site Meter Listed on Blogwise